Hello! So, last month I started Mamma M’s Movie Club as a fun way to share my love of movies and digitally hang with other people who are also super into film and since it’s so new I’m still figuring out what it’s going to look like and the very best way to have discussions and have people participate (Zoom? Google? Blog Comments?). I originally planned on hitting the classics and “best of” lists but I quickly realized I like too many indie movies and “not critically acclaimed” movies for that. So it will probably be more of a combo of all of the above. Sound good?
What I’ve learned so far: When people join a club, they want to be IN a club. So now you can add your email and sign up to our secret society of movie awesome. The second thing I’ve learned is that people are like, okay if you’re running a movie club then we feel like we need to know what you’re into and who you are as a movie-watching human. Touche. Below you’ll find a listicle/Q&A of all things ME and Movies and then you can make your choice whether to join me, ban me, etc.
A Short List of Movie Favorites
- Why a Movie Club? I’ve been obsessed with film forever. Right after books, movies are my life’s passion. I very much so regret that I didn’t also study film in college. But for some reason, I’ve always shied away from things that truly make me happy. It’s almost like I’m afraid to go all in, or at least, I was. If anything has changed about me in the past couple of years it’s that I am ALL IN.
- Favorite Movie: This is nearly impossible so I’ll just throw out a couple of faves. The House of Yes, The Secretary, Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightly but that’s also probably because I really love the book. Reservoir Dogs, TIckled (documentary), But I’m a Cheerleader, Freeway, the original Star Wars films, E.T, Interview With A Vampire, Bring It On, Kill Bill. There’s really too many to count but you get the idea.
- Fave Genre: Almost everything but horror. I love romantic comedies. I do. I don’t care who knows it. I also love comedies, Sci-Fi, and fantasy (vampire anything). But I really, really love Independent films and have been going to Sundance for yeeaaars and writing my own screenplays to one day submit, sell, or make.
- Movies You Watch on Repeat: I’m an anxious person and movies make me feel warm and fuzzy and at home. So I tend to rewatch certain movies over and over and over again. Usually romantic comedies or just comedies or anything with vampires. Right now I’m currently rewatching Netflix’ The Kissing Booth while I type because it’s light and fun and makes me feel cozy. Other movies include Pride and Prejudice, Liar, Liar, Bring It On, most things with Drew Barrymore, and so many more. It drives my husband nuts but makes me happy as a clam so too bad Francesco.
- Favorite Director: I don’t know. There are too many gifted and brilliant directors (Tarantino, Spielberg, Kubrick, Spike Lee, Ron Howard, etc) and my “fave” changes every few years depending on what I’m into at the time. I really love Ridley Scott (Thelma and Louis!) and Mark Waters (The House of Yes and Mean Girls). Not sure who your fave director is? Check out this list of the greatest directors and their films.
What are your top five fave movies? Fave genre? Director? Screenwriter? Want to know something else about ME? Put it in the comments below.